Saturday 7 January 2017

Am I Good Enough?

Over the past few months, I have been reflecting on myself as a mother - (Its never a good thing for me to sit and think for too long because my brain goes into overdrive). I started asking myself if I was being a good enough mum to Alex. Now I know from the outside, people will say "of course your a good mum", but for me I often find this really hard to believe. I often feel like a failure.

I know that this sounds silly and I shouldn't compare myself to others, but sometimes I just cant help it. I look at some mums, and wish that I could offer my Son all the things that they give to their child/children - holidays abroad, day trips every weekend or every other weekend, numerous extra curricular activities etc etc etc. I wonder what Alex thinks about me as his mum and occasionally I wonder if he talks about me to his friends and if he does, what is he saying? I often feel like I may be failing him.

I recently spoke with a friend about how I was feeling and they told me "its not about how much money you have and spend on your kids, its how much TIME you spend ". We spoke in length about this and discussed how although I beat myself up about motherhood and comparing myself to others, I do enough. We bake together, get crafty together, go out for walks and play games together. We read together and learn together and much more.
 I realised that I spend plenty of time with Alex doing things he loves that doesn't cost the world and that is all that matters. He just wants my time so I need to stop worrying about others and remember that  I AM GOOD ENOUGH.

I am so proud to be Alex's mum and to watch him grow and develop into a lovely young man. Ive watched him overcome so many challenges in his small life and yet he has taken them on and proved so many people wrong.
Its so sad when you think about it that the world is so materialistic nowadays and that there is so much comparison and pressure to keep up with other families.

To all other parents out there, please don't get tangled in the same net of comparing yourself to other parents. It will only make you feel like a failure and as long as you do your best then that is all that matters. Your best is good enough. I know that now and I am going to make a conscious effort to not put myself down as much. I AM GOOD ENOUGH.






No comments:

Post a Comment