Friday 20 March 2015

My Health - A Week After Surgery


Wow where did the week go? I can not believe that I had my operation a week ago. It only seems like yesterday that I was told about the op and here I am now sharing my thoughts from the past week.

So it began at 6:15 am bright and early on Thursday 12th March 2015.when I had to wake up and get ready to be picked  up by my father in law, Jeff who would drive me to the Spire Hospital, Leeds for 7am admission.
Once at the hospital, I said bye to Jeff and  I was then shown to my own private room with en suite bathroom (not too shabby either) and then a nurse called Anne settled me in and filled out paperwork with me. Then I was handed my hospital gown (very attractive -not) and then my DVT stockings. I have to say that I was looking extremely glamorous - lol.

By 8am the anaesthetist had been to explain what would happen before, during and after the operation. He was vey reassuring and answered my questions which calmed my nerves. I asked him the following;   Will I be completely out for the count before the operation would start?, Will someone be with me to make sure there are no complications?, Will the tube that has to go down my throat be removed before I am woken back up? I was very satisfied with the answers and then he said his goodbyes and told me that the next time I saw him would be upstairs in the anaesthetic room.
I had about half an hour to wait and then the consultant, Professor Lodge came in to get my consent form signed before he too headed off to get ready for surgery. I was the first patient of the day for him.
I had a nervous 15 minutes wait, before it was that time. The moment had come. Anne came in with a theatre team member to walk me up to my operation. My legs felt like jelly and my stomach was getting all knotted. I couldn't believe that the time had finally arrived for me to have the gallbladder that had been causing me so much grief finally removed. After a 5 or 6 minute walk we reached the room.I lay on the bed and the anaesthetist and his team did what they needed to do. I looked at the clock which said 8:55 and I thought of Alex and Mark heading off to school and then the next thing I know the clock on the wall said 10:15am and a lovely lady called Geraldine was calling my name and I was waking up. It was all over and the operation had been done. I was taken back to my room.


Over the course of the day, I was monitored to ensure that I was fit to go home that evening. I was encouraged to eat dinner and drink plenty of fluids.  At one point I was put on to a drip to get fluids in me as I was dehydrated, despite drinking what seemed like gallons of water. Eventually the doctor discharged me and I was allowed home later the same day. Once at home I could begin the recovery process.


 Recovery from surgery has its good and bad days. To begin with I was relying on the pain killers that were given to help me get through the day but as the week went on, the pain isn't as bad and I have not been having to take the pain relief as often.  I have 4 wounds from the key hole surgery and the two on my side have healed well and cause me no pain. The wound in my belly button is quite painful at times and is taking longer to heal. The last wound on the top area of my tummy is only sore occasionally. These two are in awkward positions, hence the healing taking longer.

The most frustrating thing for me about the recovery process is that I am not able to do a lot and I am not allowed to drive for about 4 weeks. The not driving is really hard for me as I love the freedom of driving and being able to get to places. I really miss doing the school run and I am thankful to Jeff who has been helping where he can. For now my car has a new home until I am well enough to drive again. I am looking forward to doing the school run again soon.

I am being looked after by Alex and Mark and although Mark has been laid up with a cold, he has still kept going like a trooper to do everything that needs to be done. When changing my dressings and sorting out food he even wore a mask to help prevent spreading any germs. I am thankful to the members from Church who have prepared meals for us and also for those of you who have sent messages, cards etc.

 
 
All that I can do for the next few weeks is to continue to rest and take it easy to help my wounds to heal and then I will hopefully be back to my old self again but feeling loads better.  I am thankful that I had a great surgeon with a great team who took great care of me.  This whole experience has had both its ups and downs, but I have definitely realised just how important health is and that by avoiding the doctors can often only make things worse.
 











No comments:

Post a Comment