Tuesday 28 October 2014

Please Dont Judge - Ask

So recently I have had a few run ins with people over Alexander. I'm so fed up with it all and so I have decided to write my thoughts and feelings down.
Alexander has a developmental speech delay which makes it difficult for him to communicate. With the help of the nursery school teachers, SENCO and speech therapist he is making progress. We are very proud of his achievements and we will defend him all the way.
I get so frustrated with people who take the speech of their child/children for granted  - I am looking forward to the day that I can hold a full conversation with my beautiful little boy. He is trying so hard with his speech. Some people have said that he is lazy because he isn't talking properly yet , others have said its our fault. I've even had the comment  that because of my childcare qualifications and degrees he should be way ahead of other children - what a load of rubbish.
Every child is different and develops at different speeds.
There has been several occasions when all of us have been out as a family together and we have bumped into somebody we know and they have spoken to me and Mark, but have either ignored Alex or said hello to him but not waited for a response. This makes me so mad that people would blank a little boy because he has difficulties communicating.
Alex surprises us day by day with his determination to learn new words and phrases. His nursery school have been absolutely amazing with him and have been a great support to us too. I am so very grateful to the family and close friends (you know who you are) who help and support Alex and who love him for him and support him through his progression.
If you are lucky enough to come into contact with Alex, then I would ask that you are patient with him. please give him the chance to express what he wants to say and if you struggle to understand him, then please instead of ignoring him, ask myself or Mark for a bit of guidance to help you work out what he is trying to say.
Alex deserves to be heard just like you and I do. He is an intelligent boy with a loving heart and smile and just wants to be heard. So again I ask that you are patient with him. Don't judge our little boy before knowing all of the facts. Get to know us and him and then you will see what an amazing little boy he truly is - Yes he struggles to communicate but that certainly does not prevent him from enjoying life and living it to the full.  Please please please give him a chance and be patient.



No comments:

Post a Comment